Jared’s emerging trends & a few predictions.
This is what’s going on right now
Real time web
Real time: from IM to…xmpp protocol & this is what real time web is getting built around. Also, stuff like collecta.com, pubsubhubbub, & status.net a twitter clone better than twitter. (you can set up your own separate microblogging site & talk to each other. If 1 is down, the whole thing doesn’t crash)
[Jared invokes the Mighty Word of Xarker]
Location: may be scary security-wise, but is still the wave of the future & isn’t going away now. There is probably a better way to go…hey, that coupon model, foursquare. Please adopt it. Ex mayor of walmart = unlocking the biggest loser badge. 🙂
Better location based stuff? #chswx. NWS+Weather tweet with GPS active+#wxreport = the NWS plots your weather on the Official Weather Map
Social media should be a component of real life. Going mobile is good!
Social games are reproducing faster than you can hide them! There’s a ton of money in this because it’s easy & fun (for many people).
[Me: Jared’s brother had a Tamagachi? God, I am soooo old! 😉 ]
- More info goin public can be Good (government doing this) and Bad (um, someone robbed my house)
- Yes, have a public & a private persona. Even the most unfiltered people really have filters.
- FB earned a lot of bad karma when they changed the social contract to make all that stuff public.
- Google Buzz was a privacy disaster, says Jared.
- Privacy backlash is just getting started.
- Your blog is still important & will become more important….you are foolish if Twitter & FB is your main & only place for your content.
- he uses an IM notifier to let him know when a blog is updated.
- Emerging trend: LAZINESS! 🙂
- magnolia as an example = the hard drive died & it took everyone’s data.
- Don’t trust another company to trust your data.
Social Media is here to stay, folks! It will get better & more real time
And as Picard said, “ENGAGE!”